Tahlka News Desk
New Delhi: Finance Minister Arun Jaitley presents Budget for 2017 before starting the session Lok Sabha speaker Sumitra Mahajan pays obituary to Lok Sabha member and former union minister E Ahamed, who died last night. Presenting his fourth budget FM Minister Arun Jaitley, began his speech after obituaries were read out in parilament for former union minister E Ahmed.Usually parliament is adjourned for a day after a sitting member dies, and the Congress and other opposition parties had suggested that precedent be followed. Mr Jaitley met with the President earlier this morning. The fourth budget is presented by the Narendra Modi government.Jaitley also announced that the budget allocation for welfare of women and children under various ministries will be increased to Rs 1,84,632 cr. Jaitley also said he took immense pride in presenting a joint budget including the Railway Budget. Railways will focus on passenger safety, capital works and cleanliness, among other issues, Jaitley said.
Live updates for Budget 2017:
- Total resources being transferred to the states & union territories with legislature is Rs 4.11 lakh crore. Budget allocation for highways stepped up to Rs 64,000 crore in FY18 from Rs 57,676 crore. Allocation for national highways stepped up to Rs 64,000 cr from Rs 57,676 cr. Fiscal Deficit target for 2017-18 is 3.2%.
- Defence expenditure excluding pension at Rs 2.74 lakh crore, says FM Arun Jaitley
- The total expenditure of budget 2017-18 has been placed at Rs 21.47 lakh crore.
- Good news for those who have to travel long distances for obtaining a passport. Arun Jaitley has announced that Head Post Offices will now be used as the front office for passport services.
- Forex reserves to offer a cover for 12 months of imports, announces.
- New law to confiscate properties/assets of economic offenders fleeing country
- Select airports in tier-II cities to be taken up for operations, development on PPP mode
- Chandigarh and eight districts of Haryana have been declared Kerosene free
- Railway tariffs to be fixed on the basis of cost, social obligation and competition; Railway related state-run companies like Ircon, IRCTC to be listed on stock exchanges.
- 125 lakh people adopted the BHIM app so far; merchant version of Aadhaar-enabled payment will be launched shortly for those without debit cards, mobile phones. Govt will launch two new schemes to promote the use of BHIM app.
- Action plan to eliminate Kala Azar and Filariasis by 2017, Leprosy by 2018, Measles by 2020 and Tuberculosis by 2025
- Allocation for SCs increased from Rs 38,833 cr to Rs 52,393 cr, a rise of 35 per cent.
- Transport sector allocated Rs 2.41 lakh crore and Bharat Net Project allocated Rs 10,000 crore
- The Foreign Investment Promotion Board has been abolished, Jaitley announced, adding that further liberalisation in the FDI policy would be taken in the next few days.
- Total investment for infrastructure in budget 2017 stands at a record Rs 3,96,135 cr, says Arun Jaitley.
- Railways will integrate end to end transport solutions for selected commodities through partnership. By 2019, all coaches of Indian Railways will be fitted with bio-toilets.
- At least 25 stations expected to be awarded during 2017-18; 500 stations will be made differently abled-friendly by providing lifts and escalators
- A new metro rail policy will be announced, this will open up new jobs for our youth.
- Good news for all those who book tickets on IRCTC. You will no longer have to pay service charge.