Tahlka News Desk
New Delhi: The budget session of parliament begins today in parliament, president Mukherjee addresses both the houses.
The session is taking place parallel to the assembly elections in five states, including Uttar Pradesh where stakes are high for the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) after it suffered a string of losses in state polls. The opposition has been against the early presentation of the Union budget on the ground that the government could woo voters with populist announcements.
The Union budget, the first to subsume the railway budget, will be presented on February 1, ending a nearly century-long tradition of tabling separate financial documents for the country's largest transporter.
The first part of the session, with just eight working days, will end on February 9. Parliament will again meet on March 9, just a day after voting for the assembly elections is complete, to end on April 12.
Live updates of budget session from parliament:
1. India has been facing grave challenge of terrorism, threat to global community
2. This is a historic session heralding advancement of budget cycle and merger of general budget with rail budget with the first time, says President Mukherjee
3. Resilience demonstrated by our countrymen particularly the poor, in the fight against black money and corruption, is remarkable.
4. At the core of all my Govt policies, is the welfare of 'gareeb', 'peedit', 'Dalit', 'vanchhit'.
5. Financial inclusion is key to poverty allevation. Close to 13 crore poor have been covered under various social schemes.
6. My govt has taken many initiatives to improve the quality of life of poor through assured housing, affordable healthcare, sanitation, says President Mukherjee.
7. Under Swacchh Bharat mission more than 3 crore toilets have been construction.
8. Over Rs 2 Lakh Crore has been provided through 5.6 crore loans sanctioned under Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana.
9. In farmer's welfare lies the prosperity of the nation, "My Goverment has taken various steps to transform the lives of our farmers".
10. My government is making 'naari shakti' (women empowerment) an integral part of our development journey, they deserve equal opportunities, says President Pranab Mukherjee. "Olympic medallists, PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Deepa illustrate strength of our women." he adds.
11. With motto of "Har Haath ko Hunar", my govt has taken several steps for skilling youth & improving their employability.
12. National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme has been launched with a budget outlay of Rs. 10 thousand crore.