Tahlka News Bureau
SANAA: The war torn Yemen is facing a cholera outbreak in which 115 people have lost their lives and over 8,900 are still ill as hospital struggle to cope with an influx of patients, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said on Sunday.
"We now are facing a serious outbreak of cholera," said ICRC director of operations Dominik Stillhart in a news conference in the capital city of Sanaa. Figure's shown by the Yemeni health ministry said that 115 people have died of cholera between April 27 and May 13.
Also, more than 8,500 cases of waterborn diseases have been recorded in the same period in 14 governorates across Yemen, Stillhart said, up from 2,300 cases in 10 governorates last week. This is the second outbreak of cholera in less than a year in Yemen, one of the poorest country in Arabian peninsula.
Yemen is the middle of a devastating war between the Saudi supported government and Iranian-backed Huthi rebels, and less than half of the country's health are functioning two years into conflict.
Hospital have been overloaded with patients displaying symptoms of cholera, a bacterial infection contracted through ingesting contaminate food or water, said Stillhart.
"There are up to four cholera patients in one single bed," Stillhart said.
"There are people in the garden, and some even in their cars with the IV drip hanging from the window."
The World Health Organisation have declared Yemen as one of the worst humanitarian emergencies in the worst humanitarian emergencies in the world alongside Syria, South Sudan, Nigeria and Iraq. Critical food imports are also at an all time low as many of the country's Red Sea ports are blockaded.
The United Nations (UN) has warned that around 17 million people – equivalent to two-third of the population are at imminent risk of famine in Yemen. More than 8,000 people have been killed since the Saudi-led Arab collation intervened to support Yemen's government in 2015, according to WHO.